Barry was admitted as a Solicitor in the Supreme Court of New South Wales in 1973 and commenced a practice in 1975. Barry is an Accredited Specialist in Family Law. In his 37 years as a Lawyer, Barry has acted in commercial, property and litigation matters for many very successful clients.
Barry commenced as a Clerk at Blackshaw Lindsay & McMartin involved in conveyancing and general litigation matters. In 1973 he moved to P F Irvine & Co. and undertook work in mortgage matters, estate work, conveyancing and general litigation. In 1974 he was employed by Sly & Russell Solicitors, involved in what was known as “The Mainline Receivership” where the firm acted for the Receivers appointed to Mainline Ltd, a very large construction company. The receivership spawned a diverse and broad range of disputes involving claims against debtors, disputes with creditors and various suits for breaches of contract, business transactions and related litigated matters.
Armed with that experience, Barry began his own practice in 1975 which has grown since that time into the diverse practice known as Beilby Poulden Costello. His knowledge in commercial matters has been of great advantage in the conduct of more complex financial matters in the Family Law area. He still practises in commercial matters including the purchase and sale of businesses, leases, assignments of lease, commercial disputes and related matters.
Barry’s clients have included such entities as the Government Insurance Office, Challenger Bank, TNT Pallet Hiring, the Official Receivers Office and many significant private commercial entities and businesses as well as high profile clients, including directors of public companies, politicians and members of The Judiciary, the New South Wales Bar, and other lawyers, some of whom he has acted for in Family Law matters.
His particular areas of expertise include:
- Contracts and commercial transactions
- Purchase and sale of businesses including shareholder agreements & commercial agreements
- Commercial disputes involving breach of contract, damages claims and recovery matters
- Purchase, sale and leasing of related property
- Family Law, predominantly involving claims for property adjustment, including disputes involving related companies and trusts and also claims for spousal maintenance
- Family Provision Act claims involving disputes regarding wills and entitlements under wills, including financial claims
- Drafting wills, powers of attorney and appointment of guardians
- Commenced practice as William B Beilby & Company, now known as Beilby Poulden Costello 1975
- Sly & Russell (later Deacons Solicitors and now Norton Rose) 1974
- P F Irvine & Co. Solicitors 1973-1974
- Blackshaw Lindsay & McMartin Solicitors 1971-1973
- 1967 Bachelor of Arts – Sydney University
- 1970 Bachelor of Laws – Sydney University
- 1973 Admitted as a Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- 1996 Accreditation as a Family Law Specialist
If you think you have a claim that you would like Barry to handle, please call us on 1800 300 272 or use the form on your right to send us your details.